The History of Brandon Hall School
Founded in 1959 by Theodore and Shirley Hecht, Brandon Hall School is located on a pristine 24-acre campus on the Chattahoochee River near Atlanta, Georgia. The campus is the former summer estate of prominent Atlantan Morris Brandon and his wife, Harriet Inman, and includes the original 1920’s residence. Under Mr. Hecht’s guidance, 1959 – 1980, Brandon Hall School provided one-to-one instruction to boys from across the country.
From 1980 – present, the school has undergone many changes and improvements under the various Heads of School. During this time, the academic buildings and dormitory were built, Brandon Hall School was named a National School of Excellence, grades 4 – 8 were added, and the school joined the Atlanta Athletic Conference while introducing a variety of competitive sports for both girls and boys. The Resident Housing was built for faculty and staff wishing to live on campus, and the Great Hall was renovated to create a welcoming entrance to the school.
In recent years, Brandon Hall has created an administrative leadership team and brought the role of the Board of Trustees into clear focus. Many changes resulted from those activities:
Girl’s Boarding was added.
Significant upgrades in technology were made.
Community relations were strengthened.
National and International marketing of the Brandon Hall School increased the pool of appropriate applicants.
Full time counselors were added.
Major raises in faculty salaries were instituted, making Brandon Hall School able to compete for the best teachers.
The Dual-Diploma program was created with two schools in China allowing their students to study at Brandon Hall School and graduate from high school with a diploma from their home school and Brandon Hall School.
The E-Learning program was introduced.
Project-Based Learning was implemented.
Brandon Hall Performance Standards were created.
There has been a renewed emphasis on professional development for all teachers and staff.
Sipple Dormitory was renovated.
These changes actively increased fiscal sustainability of the school while supporting the school’s mission. Today, Brandon Hall is a coed nonprofit college preparatory day and boarding school serving students in grades 6th - 12th from across the United States and 20 countries. We offer 9 AP and 5 Honors courses in addition to traditional college preparatory classes. Our students, day and boarding, are involved in a variety of extracurricular activities ranging from participation in sports, drama, art, math competitions, community service and more.
Board of Trustees
Karen White - Board Chair
Jorge Lluch del Hoyo
Dean J. Fusto - Head of School
Tina Gunn Weede